Avian vet in Montreal?

-L'oiseau trouvé a faim, il a un comportement bizarre ou il vous semble malade. Bref, vous avez des doutes ou certains questionnements sur un oiseau trouvé ou le vôtre. Vous trouverez ici de l'information pertinente pour vous aider. Vous pouvez aussi y déposer de l'information ou y poser vos questions.
-The bird you found seems hungry, he has a weird behavior or seems sick. You have some doubts or questions about a found bird or about your own. Here you will find relevant information to help you. You can also submit information or ask questions.
akki

Avian vet in Montreal?

Messagepar akki » mer. nov. 11, 2015 8:29 am

One of my lovebirds is since ill since yesterday night. He is inactive, lays flat, has hard time keeping balance and is exhausted and dehydrated. I am suspecting an infection or megabacteria. I kept him on the heating pad and fed him harrison's mash high potency mixed with water every couple hours the whole night. He is not getting any better, so he needs to see a vet. As I am new in Montreal, do you have any recommendations for an avian vet, that I can reach with public transport? I don't have a car and live in Montreal East. Thank you!

Monique

Re: Avian vet in Montreal?

Messagepar Monique » mer. nov. 11, 2015 10:31 am

At this link you will find the list of avian veterinarians
http://www.perroquetsecours.com/forums/ ... f=290&t=30
It is in the East of Montreal: Hôpital vétérinaire de l'Est
Good luck!
Monique

akki

Messagepar akki » mer. nov. 11, 2015 11:18 am

Thank you Monique! I already called that clinic in the East, but their avian vet will be back next week only. Others are really too far. I found one, Manon Tremblay, apparently she comes to home - did any of you know her?

Nancy Do

Messagepar Nancy Do » mer. nov. 11, 2015 1:56 pm

I know her, very good vet !
Nancy
Adjointe aux avis de recherche

Monique

Messagepar Monique » mer. nov. 11, 2015 2:40 pm

I know her, very good vet !
She's the good vet !
Monique

Jojo
Site Admin

Messagepar Jojo » mer. nov. 11, 2015 3:34 pm

When you have a mega bacteria like you suspect, you have to act quick so call the Sherbrooke ouest clinic at 514-486-5258 or go in Laval emergency at 450-781-1200

You need to act quick!
Jojo
Présidente Perroquetsecours

akki

Messagepar akki » mer. nov. 18, 2015 11:40 pm

Thank you all! unfortunately Manon was on holidays, so I got an appointment for the next day in Lachine with dr Gauvin. He was amazing! I had to carry Juju under my coat, because it was far too cold for him to be in the carrier, for the whole trip. He did just fine. He is accustomed to hanging out under my sweater for hours, and especially if he is ill. I was happy I don't have an African Grey or something, that would have been a bit more complicated to carry under a sweater in a metro :). Juju unfortunately got diagnosed with lung infection and spent the whole week since on a heating pad, being fed by me. Tomorrow we have go back again to the vet for the second injection of antibiotics, hopefully he will recover soon now, it's been too long :(

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jojo
Site Admin

Messagepar Jojo » jeu. nov. 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Did you say to the vet that your bird spends time underneath your shirt? I bet there is a bit of that to do with his infection. There is a way a lot more safer to carry your bird in the winter. You buy a little carrier just for his size and you cover it with a warm blanket but just before that, you put a plastic bag around the carrier but not in front, so he doesn't sufocate. It would be a shame if you would lose him outside this time of year.

Keep us posted please on his health issue and get well little birdie!
Jojo

akki

Messagepar akki » jeu. nov. 19, 2015 2:51 pm

Did you say to the vet that your bird spends time underneath your shirt? I bet there is a bit of that to do with his infection. There is a way a lot more safer to carry your bird in the winter. You buy a little carrier just for his size and you cover it with a warm blanket but just before that, you put a plastic bag around the carrier but not in front, so he doesn't sufocate. It would be a shame if you would lose him outside this time of year.

Keep us posted please on his health issue and get well little birdie!
Yeah, I told him, he was fine with it. Juju is so weak, he can't even perch on the finger without falling, that the chance he escapes is zero. In any other condition I would not do it obviously, if he can escape it. I have a small carrier indeed, and a cat bag, that carrier fits very well, so usually that is how he would travel.
And no, I don't carry him around like that in any other circumstances :). It was just for the trip to the vet, this time. He needs to be constantly kept at 27 degrees C, no blanket can provide that for almost three hours round trip. Under my coat he is protected from wind and cold and my body heat keeps him warm enough.

Jojo
Site Admin

Messagepar Jojo » jeu. nov. 19, 2015 9:14 pm

Well in that case, we hope he gets well soon! Keep us posted! ;)
Jojo

Retourner vers « Santé, bien-être, comportements et alimentation (Health, well-being, behavior and bird's diet) »